07 July 2011

5 Movies, 2 Days

Yup, that's right! In the past 2 days I have some how managed to watch 5 movies that I have never seen - another perk of unemployment: free time. Let's recap, shall we?


Beyond Borders: (2003) Angelina Jolie and Clive Owen. Those two alone make a movie that I want to watch. Throw in humanitarian efforts and a love story? I'll be putty in your hands. The main downer of the film (a girl criticism) was that I really couldn't stand looking at Jolie's hair. I'm not even joking. It was the one and only thing I was focusing on in every single scene. The stringy bangs, the overly dark black color, its lifeless limp body. As for the actual movie, I enjoyed it, but don't know if I'll watch it again. It does a really great job of bringing the problems of other countries into the limelight and shows that these issues are still going on today - but it wasn't the best thing out there. The end, however, redeemed it for me.

Love & Other Drugs: (2010) Not much to say. I didn't love it, but I enjoyed it. I don't think Anne Hathaway being naked every 5 seconds served any type of purpose, other than attracting both male and female viewers. I did, however, enjoy that it was a romantic movie with real adult problems. I think that too much lately any movie with a romantic premise draws about these weak female characters and their biggest problem is finding the perfect shade of lip stick. So, to the dramatic balance: kudos. But I sort of wanted more. I wanted something drastic to happen to her - maybe have her end up in the hospital after she drops a glass or something. I don't know. I just wanted the action to be more.

Monte Carlo: (2011) Don't judge. Just don't. I'm still a sucker for girlie movies (above review, aside) All that I will say is that - sadly - I enjoyed this a whole lot more than I enjoyed watching this next movie ...


Bad Teacher: (2011) Sure, I laughed. That's awesome. But I really didn't care about Cameron Diaz's character in the least. Ever. Not once. She didn't have a single ounce of humanity in her bones, and that is just exhausting to watch for 2 hours. She is just this horrible teacher who doesn't give a shit about her kids or the people around her. And that's great, for a while, but then it just becomes miserable. I did, however, enjoy Jason Segel. Because, let's face it, who doesn't like the man?


Nice Guy Johnny: (2010) This one just goes to show that a good movie can be made with a small budget. Hands down. Ed Burns' character Uncle Terry was a great combination of schmuck and lovable, and he just took the scene every time he was on screen. Also, just really honest dialog, which I thought was great.

E

No comments: