12 June 2011

A New Habit: Entertainment


Today, I am officially acknowledging one of the benefits of unemployment: entertainment.

I know, I can sense the jealousy in the air! I, Em, finally have the opportunity to explore all types of entertainment that I never had time to enjoy before. I seem to have found this new liberty in being able to explore my Netflix queue and the deep realms of the internet.

This all started to dawn on me when I found my self perched on my couch at 3:30am watching a 90's indie flick called Lovelife. It's an ensemble romantic drama about the tangled lives of 20-something graduate students and professors. It all ends up being a semi-love-line of desires that went a little something like this:

Token Guy<>Shy Girl<Hot Guy<>Hot British Chick<>Lit Prof<>Bartender>TV Writing Prof

< one sided love
<> relationship
<> affair

So, the focus fell on the Shy Girl's love for her Hot Guy best friend and all of the drama that plays out around unrequited love and what happens after you finally say those three words.  I went into the movie expecting to zone out in some lame chick flick and found myself throughly enjoying the writing and the semi-predictable plot. It was more mature than a rom-com, but it was all about love and the human dynamic. I was hooked.

This venture into the realm of unseen movies had now led me on a long and curving road laced with comedies and dramas, teen movies and reality TV. I've endured everything from throw backs like Dude, Where's My Car and Sabrina the Teenage Witch (the movie) to countless episodes of Say Yes to the Dress and Mob Wives.

Currently, I'm telling myself that it is all research, that watching all of this will help better my writing. And maybe it will, one day. Maybe I will write a movie about the mob bust of 2011, who knows? All I do know is that, for now, I am loving every minute of it.

-E

No comments: