02 August 2010

In the Next 5 Years

I will be 26 going on 27 and most likely poor.

Now, you might saying to yourself, "well that's cynical," or, "that's pessimistic." No. That's me being a realist. People have been asking me for the past 4 years, "but what are you going to do with that?" That, being writing. My default answer has always been a variating list: a publisher, an editor, staff writer, TV, freelance, etc. But the more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to worry that I'm going to be come my father's prediction of a Target greeter with a BFA (the only reason I wasn't given Wall-Mart was  because there isn't one in the Greater New York area).

And that's really what is comes down to for me, in all honesty. I want to be in New York, but I'm not naive. I will only live here for as long as I can afford to make rent.

I understand the artistic "respect" that comes with being a starving artist, but you can't live off of that. Artistic respect doesn't pay the bills. I can practically guarantee that I will write commercial, sellable scripts to get by, and I will apply for all of those big sellout corporate jobs, because yes, I want to write for myself, but I also want to live.

So, what am I going to do in the next 5 years? Who knows?

-E

No comments: