28 October 2010

My Mind Is Blown: The Von Trapp's Are REAL?!

I don't know if I'm just slow on the uptake or something, but my lovely roommate has just informed me that the ever so lovely and charming Von Trapp family - aka those Sound of Music kids - is real! Well, at least, they are the inspiration for the film. How did this happen, you might ask? Well, let's recap, shall we?

So, being my ever outstpoken self, I happened to mention that I am not the biggest fan of The Sound of Music (said conversation came out of notification that the entire cast is going to be on Oprah tomorrow) and my roommate was highly taken aback.

"What? The Sound of Music was very important to my childhood. It's like my White Christmas," he said. He obviously knows my movie preferences.

In my usual fashion, I made some smarky comment on how I was dissatisfied with the kid being a Nazi and them simply running off into the hills at the end (hope I didn't give anything away there). I just don't happen to find that ending very satisfying. "I think it's overrated," I said.

"But that's what happened, they were real," he said.

And I was shocked. Literally. I sat with my mouth open, catching flies, for quite a long period of time. How can that be true? A European Patridge Family can't possibly exist! Nuns don't go singing on mountains! They even spoof it in Moulin Rouge, for crying out loud!

Alas, he (my roommate) even went to the trouble to find the proof for me, and I'm a sucker for facts ...

Check out some links that will make you question your childhood movie-watching forever:
1. http://www.trappfamily.com/story
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_von_Trapp
3. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E3713M

Here's a glimpse at the REAL Maria Von Trapp ...


I guess Julie got the scenery somewhat right ...


And, alas, in reality they did not run off to the hills and escape. Instead, the Von Trapp's just boarded the next train for Italy and were on their merry way ... it's not AS exciting, come to think of it, but still sort of touching, in a way.

My mind will continue to be blown for the remainder of the evening.

-E

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love you, but you really are slow on the uptake... I can't believe you didn't know this!

Jaime said...

1. emily! how could you have lived with me for a whole semester and not known this!
2.have i told you about nazi police?
3. Um, did the rendition of Do-Re-Mi in Heteronormative: A Feminist Musical Revue (Mostly Hairspary & Others) [first you're timeless, then you're fucked]

em ventker said...

I know! I know! On both account, I know! And I am still baffled ... I guess it partially comes from me not really enjoying the movie as a kid ... blasphemous, I know.